Bettina Bender is a Partner specialising in employment and partnership law.
Bettina provides contentious and non-contentious employment law advice to multi-national employer clients as well as senior executives and founders. She has particular expertise in providing day-to-day UK employment law advice to multinational employer clients on risk and strategic HR issues relating to their UK workforce, including conduct, whistleblowing and discrimination issues.
Bettina is fluent in German and acts for many German multi-nationals with UK operations, as well as German senior executives.
Bettina is Chair of International Employment Law Alliance Innangard.
Bettina provides contentious partnership law advice and has particular expertise in providing advice on partner maternity and discrimination issues. She also has extensive experience in managing partner exits including in the financial services and legal sectors. Bettina regularly advises in the context of cross-border partnership exits and disputes.
Bettina, together with colleagues Clare Murray and Susanne Foster, co-authored the “Discrimination and Whistleblower Protections for LLP Members” chapter of “The Law of Limited Liability Partnerships – Whittaker and Machell”.
FIRST-RATE, AND REALLY ON THE BALL
Chambers & Partners 2017
Bettina Bender focuses on such contentious issues as partner exits, whistle-blowing episodes or instances of alleged discrimination. She is highly respected by market sources who attest that she “really knows her stuff in this field and is great with clients.” One such client praises her “very sensible, commercial advice which made the process much smoother than it might have been.”
Employment (Senior Executives)
Bettina Bender offers day-to-day employment advice to employers, as well as assising senior executives with complex whistle-blowing claims and exits. Clients state that she is “very thoughtful, analytical and patient with explaining and clarifying details.”
Legal 500 2016
Bettina Bender is named for her work in employment and partnership law. Legal 500 describes Bettina as ‘forthright, concise and highly skilled’.
Chambers & Partners 2016
“first-rate, and really on the ball”.
“praised for ‘her technical knowledge and effective approach to disputes’.
Legal 500 2015
“Bettina Bender is ‘extremely solution focused’.”
Who’s Who Legal 2015
Bettina Bender is listed in Who’s Who Legal 2016 under the Management Labour & Employment Law section.
Who’s Who Legal notes that ”much-admired” Bettina Bender specialises in strategic HR issues, discrimination claims and exits.
Bettina Bender is listed by Expert Guides for her work in the Labour and Employment law field.
- Chair of Innangard, which brings together leading employment law specialists from around the world to collaborate on international and cross-border employment law and HR issues.
- Officer of the International Bar Association (IBA) Equality and Discrimination Law Committee, a position she has held for four years. Regular speaker and moderator at IBA Annual and Employment Section conferences.
- Active member of XBHR: Global Forum for Cross-Border HR Experts.
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association (ELA).
- Member of the Association of Partnership Practitioners (APP).
- Member of the German-British Chamber of Industry and Commerce.
- Bettina defended a financial services client headquartered in Germany in relation to a complex multi-country employee whistleblowing claim, and helped the employer reach a confidential agreed settlement on favourable terms.
- Bettina advises a global luxury brand on their day-to-day HR advisory matters in the UK including in relation to conduct dismissals, redundancies, maternity, holiday accrual and requests for flexible working.
- Bettina advised this German based market leading aerosol technology company on the termination of employment of their UK based MD, ensuring minimum disruption to the running of the business.
- Bettina advises a multinational financial services client on employment law issues, including the redundancy of a Global Manager and general Tribunal litigation.
- Bettina advised the CEO of a global services group on his move to the group’s UK entity and on his UK contractual terms.
- Bettina advised the leading flight case fittings, audio and LED lighting solution technology company on the redundancy of on its UK based long serving employees.
- Bettina provides ongoing employment law advice to an international investment bank. She provided advice in relation to threatened and actual tribunal litigation arising in the context of a cost cutting and redundancy exercise and secured settlement on very favourable commercial terms.
- Bettina advised a senior financial services employee who was subject to investigation and disciplinary proceedings in relation to an investment process managed some years ago which had been reopened in the context of the revised compliance climate. A favourable outcome and ongoing employment could be secured.
- Bettina advised 3 Germany-based equity partners of a Global services firm in respect of their proposed exit from the UK LLP of which they were Members, following the firm’s merger with another entity.
- Bettina advised an LLP Member of a fund management firm following the issue of a revised LLP Agreement in relation to his exit negotiations, Heads of Agreement and Retirement Deed.
- Bettina provided legal and tactical advice to a female equity partner of an international law firm in relation to sex and age discrimination complaints and her negotiated exit.
- Bettina provides ongoing pro-bono employment law advice and support to domestic violence charity, Refuge.