The eleventh session was an insightful examination of the practical aspects of minimising the risk of litigation in international team moves, and navigating the risks once litigation is live, with perspectives from the UK, US and Canada. Some of the key takeaways from the session included:
- A Senior Executive moving with just one other employee can be a team move.
- Consider duties under law (e.g. fiduciary duties) and contractual duties in the employment contract (e.g. duty of confidentiality).
- Beware of the risk of criminal liability in Florida if downloading password protected computer data.
- The recruiting employer may be at risk of legal liability (e.g. inducing a breach of contract in the UK and tortious interference in Florida where there is no written agreement against moving to a competitor).
- Adverse inferences may be drawn (and even an obstruction of justice offence may be committed) from any “missing” evidence. Even data from a laptop thrown in the River Thames can be recovered!
Thank you again to our expert panel of speakers for a superb session:
Caroline Field, Partner, Fox and Partners LLP (UK)
Cathleen Scott, Managing Partner and Founder, Scott Wagner and Associates, P.A. (Florida, USA)
Craig Rajgopaul, Barrister, Blackstone Chambers (UK)
Danny Kaufer, Partner, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP (Canada)
David Fisher, Partner, CM Murray LLP (UK) (Chair)
The second International Forum of Senior Executives and Founders (IFSEA) Conference on Risk, Reward and Reputation Management Issues for Senior Executives & Founders was held virtually from Tuesday, 2 February – Tuesday, 16 March 2021. This unique specialist conference ran as a series of virtual international expert panels and two networking events per week, bringing together over 65 leading global experts from 13 countries around the world to discuss issues commonly faced by international Senior Executives and Founders, particularly during these times of global crisis, disruption and opportunity.
View other sessions from the IFSEA 2021 Virtual Conference here.
Find out more about the International Forum of Senior Executive Advisers and become a member here.