We are delighted to share with you the recording of our recent webinar ‘Legal Professional Privilege 101: What are the Principles and How is it Applied in an Employment Law Context?‘
In this webinar, chaired by Beth Hale (Partner and General Counsel at CM Murray LLP) and aimed at HR professionals, in-house counsel, private practice lawyers, and other professional advisers, Wonu Sanda (Senior Associate at CM Murray LLP) and Michael White (Barrister at 11KBW) discuss legal advice and litigation privilege, in particular:
- Exploring the core principles of legal professional privilege and using specific case law examples to unpack the following concepts:
- Confidential communications.
- The meaning and scope of the “Client” and “Lawyer” designation, which is fundamental to legal advice privilege.
- What counts as “legal advice”.
- The dominant purpose test applicable to both legal advice and litigation privilege.
- What constitutes litigation for litigation privilege purposes.
- Providing key practical guidance and tips on how to ensure privilege is maintained in practice.
- Using frequently encountered employment-based scenarios to demonstrate how legal advice and litigation privilege applies in practice.
Please click here to download our handy summary of Legal Professional Privilege.
If you would like to discuss legal or litigation privilege in more detail or have any questions arising from this webinar, please contact Beth Hale (Partner and General Counsel at CM Murray LLP) or Wonu Sanda (Senior Associate at CM Murray LLP).
As mentioned during the webinar, we are delighted to share with you our new free online, interactive tool, CheckYourLegalPrivilege, designed to help US and UK GCs, in-house counsel and private practice lawyers determine whether a document or communication is likely to be legally privileged or susceptible to disclosure in litigation.
The tool has been specifically devised with busy lawyers in mind, who are navigating the complex English law rules on legal privilege. You can try our new interactive tool, with tailored result based on your answers, here.