We are delighted to bring you this recording of an expert discussion between leading Law Firm Partnership & Employment Law, Regulatory and HR Specialists on Managing Bullying and Harassment Issues in Law Firms: Dealing with the Past, Realigning for the Future.
Chaired by Clare Murray, Managing Partner, CM Murray, with panellists Rob Hind, HR Consultant and Chair of People in Law, Sarah Chilton Partner, CM Murray LLP, Beth Hale – Partner & GC, CM Murray LLP, and Iain Miller, Partner, Kingsley Napley LLP (Ethics, Investigations and Regulatory specialist).
The key themes addressed by the expert panel on the legal and practical handling of investigations, the SRA regulatory implications and obligations, and the steps to realign Partner conduct to Law Firm expectations and standards, include:
1. The likely impact of lockdown and social distancing on bullying and harassment in Law Firms.
2. Is the quiet word appropriate in handling Partner conduct issues, and what role does mediation have to play in dealing with harassment and bullying complaints against Partners?
3. How can Law Firms empower HR teams to escalate and address Partner conduct issues?
4. What is the effect of overpromising confidentiality to complainants?
5. What are the key elements of a sexual harassment and bullying investigation, and how should they be conducted to protect and support complainants, witnesses, and Partners alike in those investigation processes?
6. What tools, systems and processes can Law Firms use to realign Partner behaviours for the future?
7. How can Law Firms open up really close-knit teams, including lateral hire teams, to ensure proper senior management oversight?
Rob Hind – Director, People in Law (HR specialist)
Sarah Chilton – Partner, CM Murray LLP (Employment and Partnership Law specialist)
Beth Hale – Partner and GC, CM Murray LLP (Employment and Partnership Law specialist)
Iain Miller – Partner, Kingsley Napley LLP (Ethics, Investigations and Regulatory specialist)
Clare Murray – Managing Partner, CM Murray LLP (Employment and Partnership Law specialist)
If you would like to discuss any of the issues raised in this podcast further, or for guidance on your specific rights, responsibilities and potential liabilities, please contact our Managing Partner Clare Murray or Partners Sarah Chilton and Beth Hale, who all specialise in partnership and employment law issues for multi-national employers, senior executives, firms and partners.