To mark Race Equality Week 2022, “an annual UK-wide movement uniting thousands of organisations and individuals to address the barriers to race equality in the workplace”, we are delighted to share with you the latest episode of our Ten-Minute Talks video series, this time focusing on positive action in the workplace.
In supporting this year’s Race Equality Week theme of #ActionNotWords, we feel that it is more important than ever to discuss and share ideas about the various ways in which organisations can meaningfully foster a more diverse and inclusive workplace culture.
In this Ten-Minute Talk, Associate, Pooja Dasgupta and Managing Partner, Clare Murray, discuss the following key topics:
- An overview of positive action under the Equality Act 2010, and why it is necessary;
- The potential pitfalls in applying positive action, and how to overcome any such pitfalls; and
- Interesting examples across the professional services sector and beyond of positive action in practice.
We have set out below links to some useful resources in relation to positive action and addressing racial inequality in the workplace:
- EHRC Employment: Statutory Code of Practice (Chapter 12 – Positive Action)
- EHRC: Employers: Using positive action to address workplace disadvantage
- Government Equalities Office guidance on “Equality Act 2010: What do I need to know? A quick start guide to using positive action in recruitment and promotion”
- Mr M Furlong v The Chief Constable of Cheshire Police – Employment Tribunal judgment dated 14 February 2019
- Race in the workplace: The McGregor-Smith review
For more information on any of the topics discussed in this video, please contact Associate Pooja Dasgupta or Managing Partner Clare Murray.
THE LAWDOWN PODCAST:
Listen to our regular podcast discussing the latest key employment, discrimination and partnership law-related news stories, and the interesting legal issues behind them: