In this episode of our Law Firm Founder Conversations podcast series, our Managing Partner Clare Murray discusses all things law firm founder with Alex McPherson, Founder and Partner of Ignition Law, including:
- What attributes are required for a successful law firm founder?
- Maintaining energy and enthusiasm as a founder during start up and beyond
- The importance of technology and the role it can play in a founder-led firm
- Tips for software and apps to help drive efficiency, particularly when ‘making do’ in year one
- What does success look like beyond the financial metrics?
- Being a founder vs partner in a larger law firm: the highs and lows
- Building resilience to weather the inevitable storms along the way
- Embracing your mistakes as a founder and learning from failure
- The benefits that a joint venture or strategic alliance can bring, and
- Guidance for those thinking of founding their own firm, or in the early stages of doing so.
Alex McPherson set up Ignition Law in 2015. Advisers for growth, Ignition Law provide expert legal and commercial advice to start-ups and scale-ups, helping clients to navigate through their entrepreneurial journey. Their mission from the very start was to serve entrepreneurial clients, while creating a flexible and hugely fulfilling and caring place to work.
Since its launch, both the firm and Alex have won a multitude of awards, including ‘Managing Partner of the Year’ at the Modern Law Awards, ‘Law Firm Culture and Diversity & Inclusion Awards’ at SME News 2022 and ‘High Growth Business of the Year’ at the Federation of Small Businesses Awards 2022, as well as being selected as finalists for many more.
We hope you enjoy listening to this episode. Please do like, subscribe and share.
Listen to the previous episodes in the series below:
Or you can listen and subscribe on the following channels:
If you are thinking of setting up a new law firm, or are expanding to take your firm’s growth to the next level, and would like to discuss any related partnership or employment law infrastructure issues with us, please do get in touch with Clare Murray or Zulon Begum.