In the next of our Ten-Minute Talk series, Partners Corinne Staves and Andrew Pavlovic discuss own interest conflicts for lawyers and law firms, with a particular emphasis on how they can arise through mistakes.
In particular, Corinne and Andrew discuss the following:
- If I make a mistake, do I have to tell the client?
- If so, what do I tell them?
- Can I continue to act for the client?
- Do I have to self-report my conduct to the SRA?
- How can own interest conflicts arise through other professional appointments, such as acting as executors or deputies?
The issues raised in this Ten-Minute Talk are considered in more depth in a practice note which Andrew has authored for PLC’s new Practice Compliance Management resource hub, which can be found here.
If you have any questions arising from this video or would like to discuss own interest conflicts in more detail, please contact Andrew Pavlovic, who specialises in professional discipline and regulatory law, or Corinne Staves, who specialises in partnership law.